Tuesday, February 8, 2011

While browsing the interwebs..

Various:
- Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series, passed away this weekend :( I love his vivid writing, and reading about what a kind man he was, I'm even sadder to hear this news.
- Here's an interesting "what if..." about what our lives could look like if there was a social metric
- A fascinating look at one man's discovery of a way to crack some lottery games

Crafty:

One of my friends posted a tutorial on how to make felt coffee cup sleeves which are adorable, practical, eco-friendly, and easy to make, too! Definitely on my to-make list!

Marriage-related:

Loved this perspective on still loving your husband even when not feeling fabulous (like... while pregnant!) - [In Morning Sickness and in Health: How to bless your husband when you feel like throwing up on his shoes]
Men crave happy women. They want to feel like all is right with the world, like they’ve worked hard, and see? It’s all paid off. Someone is delighted with them. They made their woman happy. A lot of men out in the world are seeking those smiles in evil, destructive places, but shouldn’t we be giving our husbands the wholesome, genuine version at home?

These other links... I'm not even sure how to preface them. They are beautiful. They give a picture of marriage in all of its vulnerability and closeness and wonderfulness.

- How Can I Be a Better Wife?
“How could you be a better wife?” I take a deep breath, ready to cup his heart exposed.

“When I tell you that you’re beautiful, hear me.”

I look away. Hide behind some fig leaves.

His voice finds me.

“When I tell you the things I love about you, accept what I’m saying. Don’t shrug it off.”

I want to shrug it off.

This is how I can be a better wife?

He knows me. He’s right.
Accepting the caress of grace can terrify. Why is it hard just to let love?
- How to Really Fall in Love Again
Fall in Love in Four Minutes A Day

It only takes four minutes a day to move into a deeper heart place. It only takes four minutes a day to connect in soul intimacy; to breathe in oxygen for the other half of my heart. Don’t and I too begin to suffocate, the death heave. I wish someone had told me in the beginning.

Four times a day think on love. When I leave the marriage bed, leave the front door, when I return to front door, return to marriage bed. These are the four critical archways of time in our day. Touch or whisper a sweet nothing when passing through these gate points, and we walk into hours of closeness. Forever love fixates like fresh love...

Love is more than words. Love is the life-weaving, a braid of a three fold cord, Love Himself in the center.
- Making of the Marriage Bed
Why is it easier to earn love than simply accept it?

And why would a woman rather scrub the grime of the tile grout in the bathroom for her husband, make him plates of heaping mashed potatoes, light the candles, scour the pots, wash his underwear, rather than say yes to his wooing? Is it pride or is it shame (and maybe they are the same only by different names) or is it a symptom of a deep wound bleeding unseen or just blatant apathy and why rebuff the advances of the man who gave the ring and his promise and all of his bare male heart?
Be sure to read to the very end- to the part about the box on their dresser collecting dollars + the Ann Landers letter that inspired it :)

Good marriages- beautiful marriages- don't just happen, but they're worth every bit of work that goes into making them so.

1 comment:

  1. Does it say anything that after almost 18 years of marriage, my house is still a mess? I'll just say that if we'd known of the $1 idea, well, yeah. We'd be back in Hawaii again!

    ReplyDelete