Saturday, February 19, 2011

Crunchy shopping, here I come :)

Budget allowing, of course... However, since some friends posted recently about what they put on their skin and why it's important to them to be careful about what sort of soaps and lotions and cleaners and more they use, it's gotten me thinking.
I'm not ransacking the cupboards and throwing out the Clorox and Windex and Colgate. Really, I'm not!

However, as our stock of these items runs low, I'm looking for better replacements.
Our laundry detergent just ran out. I'm still looking for a tried-and-true liquid detergent recipe since I prefer that to powdered laundry soap. Until then, I'm using a Method detergent I saw at Target. I noticed such a difference in the amount of detergent residue there wasn't compared to the All we'd been using. I am a fan.

For now, we're using Crest or Colgate; once it's used up, I'm hoping to go a more natural route- perhaps Tom's of Maine?

[photo from The Daily Green - Green Depot]
I'm wanting to make little changes here and there. Common items, like vinegar, lemon juice, & baking soda, are amazing cleaners! I have some less-common things on my shopping list at the moment- tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract, borax, and some essential oils.

It's not so much about saving the planet as it is taking care of our bodies and not using chemicals that are far harsher than they need to be and adding those contaminates to the water and the air.

Links:
I've heard fabulous recommendations of this soap over at Strawberry Hedgehog and am dying to try it!
Check out this awesome natural fruit & veggie wash - A great way to clean off the pesticides fresh fruits & veggies (unfortunately) come loaded with!

2 comments:

  1. you need to get in contact with hanna peterson. shes selling norwex products, great natural stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added your blog to my reader early. :) I've bookmarked a bunch of things and am enjoying reading what you're writing. :) This is Carol, btw.

    ReplyDelete