Monday, February 7, 2011

My go-to appetizer discovery of 2010

Around Christmas, everyone was posting their favorite holiday recipes and I printed off a few that I wanted to try. For Christmas, I made a bunch of food, tried some new recipes, and discovered some things that are going to become standards in my recipe books. This post is about one of my new favorites.

We're signed up to bring treats to something tomorrow night and instead of going with something sweet, I put together this savory appetizer.

Cheese and crackers has nothing on this.

First, mix together:
* 1 envelope of Good Seasons Italian Dressing
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
* 1/4 cup white vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
* 2 TB water
* 2 TB minced green onions
* 1 1/2 tsp sugar (I use xylitol)
Set it aside.

Next, slice cheese into small squares:
* 12 oz package Monterrey Jack
* 12 oz package Sharp Cheddar

Also needed:
* 8 oz package cream cheese (I use neuftachel) - not softened
* 4 oz jar diced pimentos, drained

To assemble, spread cream cheese on one kind of cheese slices, then top with the other kind of cheese (think sandwiches..) and arrange them in the serving dish. Continue until cheese is all sandwiched (not all cream cheese will necessarily be used up).


Spread pimentos across the cheese, then pour the oil/vinegar mixture over everything.


Allow to marinade overnight, then serve with crackers. Keep a fork nearby to assist in serving :)


Be sure to share!

[Source: Beauty & Bedlam]

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It's certainly colorful and I'm sure really tasty, too! :D

    ReplyDelete