Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Refreshed motivation

I am in school, studying to be a teacher "when I grow up."
There are days that it seems like I will never be done working toward that degree. There are days when I feel like I will never quit reading textbooks, completing assignments, working on projects, or writing papers. Between school and homework and a part-time job, sometimes I lose sight of what it is that I am working toward. When I only occasionally work with kids - actually applying anything I'm learning in class!- I forget how much I truly love teaching.

This week, I'm helping out with Vacation Bible School at church. I was going to be helping with crafts, which sounded fun to me. But then, last week, my cousin asked me if I could teach the group she and her husband would be leading since they would be moving into their new house on the first day of VBS! I was quick to assure her I'd be happy to. I looked over the lessons a little, glanced at the visuals, but it didn't really hit until Sunday night that I had an opportunity to put all of my teaching experience- PLUS the new things I learned this past school year about differentiated instruction- into practice!
At that moment? SO PSYCHED! :D
I've been looking for more fun, tactile ways to teach the lessons, thinking up activities to reinforce the lessons, looking for fun ways to learn the memory verses, and attention-grabbing reviews of previous lessons.
So. Much. Fun.
<3

These brainstorms have led to late-night trips to Wal*Mart, much to my hubby's chagrin.Tonight's trip, I was searching for beach balls (for a memory verse activity), something to use as a treasure chest (for a review of the past days' lessons), and a sheep (same review). This afternoon, I was searching for whale sounds & got them loaded onto my iPod. Tonight, I created a spiffy treasure chest out of a Rubbermaid container, aluminum foil, a black crayon, black/brown/gray markers, and a little tape.

All of those "oh my gosh, is it even worth it to be working toward this degree because I can't even remember WHY it seemed like such a good thing" moments are being brushed aside now that I'm actually using my teaching skills. I love my group of 1st and 2nd graders! I love the challenge of keeping their interest, presenting the material in a compelling & understandable way, and encouraging the sort of behavior I want to see.

Plus, I'm working with great people - my cousin Julie, her husband, and MY husband! The 4 of us make a great team :)

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to have "reboot" moments like that. Fresh perspectives are great.

    I am so excited to have my own English classroom. :)

    ReplyDelete