Friday, May 28, 2010

Freezer fruit for summer

On a recent day at home, I finally combined the ingredients I'd been accumulating to make "Frozen Fruit Cups."
The concept is simple: assorted fruit & juice frozen into a refreshing healthier-than-popsicles treat (or a fab breakfast.. or dessert.. or snack for unexpected company..)
I found a couple recipes I liked: Recipe 1 and Recipe 2
I wanted them to be more healthy than desserty, so I looked for fruit canned in fruit juice instead of syrup.

My recipe:
1 can pineapple tidbits, undrained
1 lg can mandarin oranges, drained
1 can mixed fruit (the kind with maraschino cherries + the weird grapes), undrained
2 cans apricot halves, drained & cut into quarters
1/2 a can of thawed orange juice concentrate
3/4 C of water (um.. kind of to-taste? I didn't actually measure...)
a "dash" of lemon juice (I added it until it seemed like it would be refreshingly lemony..)

Combine all ingredients; ladle into muffin pans; freeze until.. frozen; pop out of the pans (I used a knife around the edge to get them loose, then popped them out); transfer to a ziplock or other freezer storage container & store in the freezer until ready to serve.


To serve, set out however many you need, allow them to thaw until they can be broken apart with a fork; serve individually, in a semi-frozen/semi-slushy state :)

I made another batch with 4 bananas (sliced) subbed in for the apricots, and with orange/pineapple/banana juice concentrate instead of regular orange juice.

2 comments:

  1. They're really good! If you want to try one, you can come over while the kids are napping ;)

    ReplyDelete